Update nRF9160 DK firmware
Follow the steps below to update the nRF9160 SiP nRF Connect for Cloud certificates, application firmware and modem firmware.
- Follow these steps to update application firmware and modem firmware, as well as your nRF Connect for Cloud certificates.
- When complete, go back to step 2 in "Unboxing step by step" above.
Get your nRF9160 DK online
- To ensure you get the latest available functionality, it is recommended to update your nRF9160 DK firmware. To update, please follow "Update nRF9160 DK firmware" below, then continue with step 2.
- Punch out the nano-SIM from the card included in the nRF9160 DK box and plug it into the SIM card holder on the nRF9160 DK.
- Optional: If you received an external GPS patch antenna, attach this to the GPS SWF port near the top right corner of the nRF9160 SiP.
- Connect the nRF9160 DK to a USB power source such as a computer.
- Flip the power switch on the nRF9160 DK to “on”.
- Log in to nRF Connect for Cloud at nrfcloud.com. Create a new user if necessary.
- Click the large “+” sign on the top left.
- Choose "LTE".
- Follow the instructions to register your SIM card.
- Wait up to 3 minutes for the device to find the cellular network and the cloud server. LED 3 should blink first.
- Once both LED3 and LED4 blink simultaneously, then perform the device association procedure to connect your board with your account.
- Once LED4 is on, your device is connected to nRF Connect for Cloud.
- Once connected to the cloud, toggle Switch 1 to simulate orientation change of the board.
- Optional: To activate the GPS, go outside or near a window and press button 1 for min 10 sec.
Certification and SIM
Check out the regulatory certifications nRF9160 Certifications to see which regions the nRF9160 DK has been certified for radiated operation. It’s modem firmware is limited to operation in the bands that were certified at the time of production.
Check out the iBasis network coverage to see where the iBasis eSIM will work with LTE-M and NB-IoT, if you can't use it in your region, please contact your local network operator to get a SIM card from them.
Get started with development
Watch and learn
Introducing nRF9160 DK
Field-testing how distance affects the behavior of LTE-M and NB-IoT
Cellular IoT for everything else
Low power cellular for the IoT