The Nordic Thingy:91 is an easy-to-use battery-operated prototyping platform for cellular IoT using LTE-M, NB-IoT and GPS. It is ideal for creating Proof-of-Concept (PoC), demos and initial prototypes in your cIoT development phase.
Thingy:91 is built around the nRF9160 SiP and is certified for a broad range of LTE bands globally, meaning the Nordic Thingy:91 can be used just about anywhere in the world. The cellular communication can be interleaved elegantly with GPS positioning acquisition making it perfect for sophisticated asset-tracking product ideas. The kit comes preloaded with a sophisticated asset tracking application.
The kit is packed with a multitude of sensors for motion, impact, air quality and much more. The nRF Connect SDK supports Thingy:91 and there are examples for all sensors and connectivity functionality.
There is an nRF52840 multiprotocol SoC on the Thingy:91. This offers the option of adding Bluetooth Low Energy connectivity to your project ideas.
The Nordic Thingy:91 comes complete with a global use SIM card from iBasis that has a free 10 MB data plan to get you up and running immediately. The Thingy:91 and SIM can be provisioned and monitored using nRF Connect for Cloud which is Nordic Semiconductor’s cloud demonstration, evaluation and test platform.
*** New functionality v1.0.0 ***
- Cat M1 operation on E-UTRA bands 18 and 19.
- Cat NB1 operation on E-UTRA bands 19.
- Support for simultaneous GNSS and LTE (M1 or NB1) system modes. GPS reception during
LTE Power Saving Mode (PSM) active periods.
- GPS duty-cycling during continuous positioning for current consumption optimizing.
- Downgrade prevention to older firmware versions activated.
- Limited support for controlling external MIPI RFFE components (AT cmd interface).
- Support of firmware update over-the-air (FOTA).
- AT%XMONITOR command for reading modem parameters.
- IPv6 address resolution/refresh failure notification when using raw socket API.
- Radio Policy Manager (GSMA RPM for advanced handling of NAS reject scenarios).
- Support for DNS server address setting by application.
- AT%SDATAPRLF for controlling timing of periodic cell searches when UE is not registered.
- Support for AT+CGAUTH (PAP and CHAP support).