Great hardware deserves great software
nRF Connect SDKGreat hardware deserves great software. We offer the nRF Connect SDK for the nRF53 and nRF52 Series. The nRF Connect SDK is a complete software development kit for Thread, Bluetooth LE, and Zigbee. It integrates the scalable Zephyr RTOS, OpenThread, and Bluetooth LE stacks. We also included a variety of samples, hardware drivers, and more.
Thread integrationOpenThread is an open-source implementation of the Thread networking protocol. We provide it as a pre-compiled, pre-certified library. This allows for Thread certification by inheritance, and in full source code to ease product development. For the nRF Connect SDK we have ported the lower layers of our SoftDevices. This enables the best-in-class interoperability you know our SoftDevices for. The result is the SoftDevice Controller. A SoftDevice is a wireless protocol stack that complements our SoCs. We provide them as qualified, precompiled binary files.
nRF5 SDKYou can still use the nRF5 SDK for Thread and ZigBee for our nRF52 Series SoCs. Be aware that only the nRF Connect SDK is in active development. For all new products we recommend the nRF Connect SDK.
nRF Connect SDK highlights
- Base solution for Thread-based application layers: Matter, Apple HomeKit, DALI+, KNX IoT, OCF, and others
- Support for Thread 1.1 and Thread 1.2 features
- Thread certification by inheritance
- All roles supported: Thread Router, Thread Border router, End Device, Sleepy End Device, Synchronized Sleepy End Device
- Dynamic multiprotocol with Bluetooth LE
- Single SoC, Network Co-Processor (NCP), and Radio Co-Processor (RCP) architectures
- Support for over-the-air device firmware update (OTA DFU) with Bluetooth LE
- CoAP server and client samples + BLE Nordic UART Service for multiprotocol
- Command Line Interface (CLI)
- Matter (Project CHIP) integration and several associated sample applications
- Apple HomeKit integration and several associated sample applications
Software development kit
nRF Connect SDK
nRF Connect SDK is a common software development kit for cellular IoT, Bluetooth Low Energy, Bluetooth mesh, Matter, Thread and Zigbee. It supports the nRF9160 SiP, the nRF5340 SoC and all nRF52 Series SoCs.
Microcontroller development kit
Register header files and startup code to get you started developing with nRF51, nRF52, nRF53 and nRF91 Series devices in 3rd-party IDEs.