SIM card coverage
Please see this spreadsheet to confirm that iBasis has coverage and power saving mode (PSM) enabled in your region. If your region does not support PSM, you will still be able to see sensor data on the cloud, but the GPS position feature may not work.
Please watch the unboxing video below and take a look at our User Guide for more information.
If your region does not have coverage, please contact your local RSM or local network operator to purchase a local IoT SIM.
your Nordic Thingy:91
Unbox and get your Nordic Thingy:91 up and running
Unboxing step by step
- To ensure you get the latest available functionality it is recommended to update your Thingy:91’s firmware. To update, please follow "Update Thingy:91 firmware" below, then continue with step 2.
- Open nRF Connect for Cloud, create a new user if necessary and login. Add a new device in nRF Connect for Cloud.
- Select "LTE device" to connect your Thingy:91
- Locate SIM ICCID and PUK on the iBasis SIM card found inside the Thingy:91 box
- Input SIM ICCID, PUK (found on the iBasis SIM card) and personal information.
- Insert SIM Card and power on Thingy:91. Then wait for yellow blinking on the LED.
- Locate IMEI and PIN on Nordic Thingy:91
- Associate Thingy:91 to your user account. Wait for blue blinking. Then your Thingy:91 is associated and connected!
- Optional: To active the GPS, go outside and press the SW3 button for min 10 sec until the indicator LED breathes purple. Purple breathing means the GPS is active and searching, while green breathing means the GPS has a fix. Wait for green breathing before checking nRF Connect for Cloud for a position.
- For more info, see the user guide in the "Next steps" section below.
Update Thingy:91 firmware
Follow the steps below to update the nRF9160 SiP application firmware and modem firmware.
- Download the latest Thingy:91 precompiled firmware from here.
- The ZIP file inside the download is the modem firmware (mfwnrf9160xxx.zip), do not unzip.
- Follow this link to update it.
- The download has nRF9160 SiP application firmware for connecting to an LTE-M or NB-IoT network. Following these steps, update with the appropriate hex file (see CONTENTS.txt in the download for description)
- When complete, go to nrfcloud.com and then complete Step 2 in "Unboxing step by step" above.
with your Thingy:91
nRF Pizza: Nordic Thingy:91 concept
Nordic Thingy:91 brief
Introducing The Nordic Thingy:91 Cellular IoT prototyping platform