During this difficult and challenging time, isolation can affect many of us in ways we might not have previously anticipated. We typically think of people who are elderly or ill as being the most affected by isolation, however the COVID-19 pandemic has highlighted how anyone can become isolated by circumstances.
We’re on the hunt for innovative solutions that can help people stay safe as they remain in their home. Whether someone is self-isolating with symptoms, categorised as ‘vulnerable’, or simply struggling with their all-round physical or mental health, we want to find the ideas that can support them to live independently.
Use wireless technology (Bluetooth Low Energy, Thread, Zigbee, Cellular IoT - LTE-M or NB-IoT), to present a solution addressing one or more of the issues experienced by those in isolation.
What issues can we solve?
- New ways to detect gas, carbon monoxide or water leaks
- Allowing people to stay occupied and have fun
- Remote monitoring of movement, activity, falls or raised levels of anxiety
- Ways to keep physically/mentally active
- Reminders for/reassurance about regular routines – e.g. taking medicine, banking
- Voice messaging
- Medical tracking – thermometers, oxygen saturation detection
- Social interaction with neighbours/friends/family
- Ways to ask for help while self-isolating (milk/bread/medicine delivery)
- Ways to raise requests for support from essential service companies such as water, electricity, gas, broadband.
- We want your solution/s to be easy to use, and accessible to people in a range of vulnerable circumstances.
Nordic donates the HW you need to develop your project. Place your HW request when submitting your competition entry. Limited quantities available, first-come first-served! These development tools are made available:
Read more and enter the Connect the Community: Design Challenge below.