Nordic Semiconductor’s Environmental policy
Being a preferred partner to environmentally conscious stakeholders, Nordic Semiconductor shall incur no loss of business or profitability due to incidents or issues related to disturbance to health or environment.
Nordic Semiconductor is committed to:
- comply to legal requirements and regulations, and protect the environment through sound management practices and decisions
- protect the natural environment by minimizing waste generation, pollution and GHG emissions, resource- and water consumption, and the use of hazardous materials in our products, as well as develop and use environmentally friendly technologies
- promote environmental responsibility and ensure that our suppliers live up to Nordic Semiconductor’s environmental standards
- establish and evaluate achievable environmental performance goals to ensure continual improvement of our environmental management system
- regularly monitor and report on environmental performance, and to consult with relevant stakeholders on environmental issues
The electronics industry is subject to several directives and standards in order to reduce the impact on the environment. Most important are the EU directives
- WEEE (Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment),
- RoHS (Restriction of use of Certain Hazardous Substances),
- REACH (Registration, Evaluation, Authorization and Restriction of Chemicals)
- and the standard ISO14001: “Environmental Management Systems”.
The basic principle for these is Reduce-Reuse-Recycle.
The RoHS Directive requires that "from 1 July 2006, new electrical and electronic equipment put on the market does not contain lead, mercury, cadmium, hexavalent chromium, polybrominated biphenyls (PBB) or polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDE)". I addition customer-specific procurement standards in the industry restricts even more substances. To declare that Nordic products complies to this directive, a ROHS Statement has been developed.
The REACH Regulation became law throughout the EU on 1 June 2007 and has a phased program of implementation over 11 years. Described as the most ambitious chemicals legislation in the world, REACH will apply to about 30,000 chemical substances which are currently in use across Europe. The main aims of REACH are to "ensure a high level of protection of human health and the environment as well as the free movement of substances, on their own, in preparations and in articles, while enhancing competitiveness and innovation". Nordic has its own REACH Statement, declaring non-use of the hazardous substances included on the initial SVHC (Substances of Very High Concern) candidate list.
In order to support our customers to comply with these environmental requirements, Nordic has introduced "green" package technology in its products. "Green" means that our products are halogen free in addition to RoHS compliant (free of Bromine, Chlorine and Antimony based flame retardants). A more detailed list of prohibited chemical substances can be found in Nordic's Warranty for non-use of prohibited chemical substances.pdf [245.94 kB]
Nordic Semiconductor is a fabless semiconductor company. Our subcontractors for wafer and assembly production are ISO14001 certified.
Nordic Semiconductor was certified to ISO 14001 in 2014. Download below.
Contacts for environmental related topics