Getting started with the nRF52 Development Kit
Development kit for the Nordic nRF52832 System-on-Chip (Soc)
Congratulations on getting the nRF52 DK!
On this page we'll show you how to connect and power up your nRF52 DK, and what to expect when you do so.
This will take about 20 minutes. NB! You need a reasonably current Windows PC to perform the following.
Connect and test the nRF52 DK
- What's included with the kit: The nRF52 DK board itself, and a flex NFC antenna (Pic.1).
- Connect the NFC antenna to the board. The connector is marked "NFC", and located on the edge of the board near the 4 buttons (Pic.2).
- Use a micro USB 2.0 cable to connect the nRF52DK to one of your PC's USB host ports. This provides power to the board.
- Flip the power switch to "on". Find it near the micro USB connector (Pic.3).
- Confirm that the USB active LED has started to pulsate (Pic.4).
- Use buttons 1-4 to control which LED is pulsating.
- Open a Windows file explorer. Confirm that the nRF52 DK has appeared as a removable drive named "JLINK" (Pic.6). This allows you to program the onboard chip. You'll do this under "how to program the optional demos into your nRF52 DK" below.
- Take out your smart phone and enable NFC, if available. If you don't know how to do this, consult the phone manual or Google "<your phone> NFC enable".
- Once NFC is enabled, hold your phone close to the nRF52 DK (Pic.7).
- Your phone will prompt you to open a URL. Please allow this. Your smart phone browser will then open this web page!
Download optional demos for your nRF52 DK
Both the optional demos below interact with the nRF Toolbox mobile app.
Once nRF Toolbox is installed on your phone, download the optional demo programs below to interact with the nRF52DK from your smart phone.
Get the mobile App for more demo fun
Now it's time to download and install the nRF Toolbox mobile app-available for Android, iOS and Windows Phone. This app is required for the downloadable optional demos.
Click your desired platform above to get to the Nordic Toolbox download page.
How to program the optional demos into your nRF52 DK
(Make sure you have installed the nRF Toolbox mobile app before you start. See above right).
- Download demo zip files by clicking on the links above.
- Unzip and find a hex file and a readme document inside. The document describes how the demo works.
- Drag and drop the hex file into the JLINK removable drive mentioned above. The file contains firmware which will be automatically programmed onto the nRF52832 SoC. This happens immediately. The explorer window may close when programming starts. When programming is completed, the unit will be re-detected by Windows.
- Follow the instructions in the "readme" document that came with the demo.
Enjoy the demos and your nRF52 DK!
Click here when you're ready to go to the infocenter and start downloading tools for application development.
...or here to get back to the nRF52DK product page.