The Nordic Semiconductor nRF51822 is a multi-protocol Bluetooth low energy / 2.4GHz proprietary RF Flash-based SoC that is designed specifically to be used as a single-chip solution for a range of Bluetooth low energy and 2.4GHz proprietary designs in cost, power, and size constrained applications including PC peripherals, connected TV remote controls, sports/fitness/healthcare sensors, toys, and automation.
Key IC features include:
- 256kB on-chip Flash and 16kB RAM;
- Wide range of digital and mixed signal peripherals including SPI, 2-wire, ADC, and a quadrature decoder;
- 16 PPI channels;
- 1.8-to-3.6V supply range with on-chip LDO,1.75-to-1.95V supply range for LDO bypass mode;
- On-chip drop down DC/DC converter for 3V batteries such as coin cells;
- +/- 250 ppm 32kHZ RC oscillator enabling the implementation of Bluetooth low energy applications without an external 32kHz crystal, saving cost and board space;
- 6x6mm 48-pin QFN package with up to 32 GPIOs;
- Complete Bluetooth protocol stack solution (Link layer to Profiles).
The S110 Bluetooth low energy stack for the nRF51822 is provided as a downloadable, royalty-free, pre-compiled binary that can be programmed and updated separately. Key features of the stack include:
- Asynchronous and event driven SVC-based API;
- Run-time protection;
- GATT, GAP and L2CAP level APIs;
- Peripheral and Broadcaster Roles;
- GATT client and server;
- Non-concurrent multi-protocol operation with 2.4GHz RF proprietary protocols;
- Requires less than 128kB code space and 6kB of RAM, leaving more that 128kB flash and 10kB RAM for application code;
- Compared to two-chip implementations using Nordic’s previous generation nRF8001 the nRF51822 running the S110 stack slashes power consumption by up to 50%.
The S110 stack and the nRF51822 are complemented by the nRF518 SDK that includes a comprehensive set of Bluetooth low energy profiles, services, and example applications.For proprietary applications the nRF51822 is complemented by a new and improved Gazell™ 2.4GHz RF protocol stack providing interoperability with nRF24L Series Gazell-based applications. The combination of the nRF51822 and the new Gazell protocol stack slashes power consumption by up to 30% compared to Nordic’s previous generation nRF24LE1.