About Nordic Semiconductor
Nordic Semiconductor ('Nordic') is a fabless semiconductor company specializing in ultra low power (ULP) short-range wireless communication in the license-free 2.4-GHz and sub-1-GHz Industrial, Scientific and Medical (ISM) bands. Nordic is a Norwegian public company listed on the Oslo stock exchange (OSE: NOD).
Nordic's ULP wireless solutions enable its customers to build wireless connectivity into everything from mainstream consumer PC peripherals, sports & fitness devices, toys and RF remote controls through to the most advanced and innovative 'game-changing' wireless devices such as beacons, health monitors and home automation – while exceeding end users' expectations in terms of features, performance and price.
The company designs and manufactures five product families: The nRF52 Series of ULP RF Systems-on-Chip (SoCs), powered by an ARM® Cortex™ M4F processor and based on a common silicon architecture that supports Bluetooth® low energy, ANT™ and 2.4GHz proprietary RF software protocols, the nRF51 Series SoCs, multiprotocol devices that share a similar architecture to the nRF52 Series but are powered by an ARM Cortex M0 processor, the μBlue™ Series of Bluetooth low energy ICs, the nRF24L Series of 2.4GHz RF SoCs and the nRF24AP2 Series of ANT Connectivity Integrated Circuits (ICs). In addition, Nordic supplies the nRF2460 audio streamer and Sub 1-GHz Series, an ideal solution for longer-range industrial, home automation and wireless monitoring applications.
The company’s products feature:
- Class-leading battery lifetimes – Up to years running from regular AA, AAA or coin cell batteries;
- Small size – Compact packaging options, enabling miniaturized wireless products to be developed, including ‘wearable’ devices and Internet of Things sensors;
- Ease-of-use – Works 'out-of-the-box' without complex pairing procedures;
- Ease-of-integration – Proven Bluetooth low energy, ANT and 2.4GHz proprietary protocols supported by single-chip solutions powered by ARM processors or transceivers that support for a wide range of application microcontrollers to ease design-in;
- Multi-vendor interoperability – Seamless connectivity to Bluetooth low energy, and existing ANT+ sensors, hubs and devices;
- Robust wireless connectivity – Excellent co-existence performance with other popular 2.4GHz wireless technologies such as Wi-Fi and Bluetooth wireless connectivity;
- Mobile device connectivity – Seamless connectivity to smartphones and tablets with Bluetooth low energy or ANT+ support;
- Attractive pricing point – Single chip solutions with low cost external Bill-of-Materials (BoM) supporting entry-level product pricing.
The nRF52 Series, the nRF51 Series, the µBlue™ Series, the nRF24L Series and the nRF24AP2 Series are aimed at applications in the sports & fitness, gaming, toys, mobile phone peripherals, healthcare, consumer electronics, IoT, industrial and home automation sectors. The nRF52 Series features a 2.4GHz multiprotocol radio and a 64MHz ARM Cortex M4F processor. The SoCs feature a novel architecture for Bluetooth low energy, ANT and 2.4GHz proprietary solutions featuring a unique and powerful separation between protocol stack and user application code. The nRF52 Series Bluetooth low energy are fully compliant with Bluetooth Version 4.x. The nRF51 Series SoCs share a similar hardware and software architecture to the nRF52 Series but are powered by an ARM Cortex M0 processor. The μBlue™ Series of Bluetooth low energy ICs are fully compliant with Bluetooth Version 4.x and support a wide range of mobile phone peripherals including proximity tags, connected watches and remote controls. The nRF24L Series (together with the Nordic Gazell™ protocol stack) are the market leading proprietary solutions for wireless PC peripherals and is ideal for wireless mice, keyboards, remote controls, trackpads and presenters. ANT is the de facto standard for ultra low power wireless connectivity in sports & fitness equipment making the nRF51422 and nRF24AP2 Series the ideal solutions for products such as heart-rate belts, speed-distance foot pods, GPS pods, pedometers, activity sensors, bike cadence sensors, bike speed sensors, bike power sensors and weight scales.
Nordic is a member of the ANT+ Alliance and has successfully collaborated with ANT Wireless of Cochrane, Canada, since 2005. ANT+ (built on the ANT protocol) facilitates interoperability between ANT+ Alliance member devices and the collection, automatic transfer and tracking of sensor data. ANT+ defines device profiles that specify data formats, channel parameters, and network keys. The ANT+ Alliance is an open, special interest group of companies with a membership of over 400 member companies.
Nordic is an associate member of the Bluetooth SIG and has contributed core expertise in ULP RF design to Bluetooth low energy. Bluetooth low energy is a short-range RF communication technology featuring ultra low power consumption, a lightweight protocol stack, and simple integration with Bluetooth chips. It is a hallmark feature of the latest Bluetooth Core Specification.
Nordic’s products are manufactured using state-of-the-art semiconductor process technologies via strong, long-term relationships with world-best manufacturing facilities. Sales are primarily made through a carefully selected worldwide distribution network. The company has offices in Trondheim and Oslo, Norway, the U.S. (West Coast), Finland, Poland, Hong Kong, China, Korea, Japan, Taiwan, and the Philippines. All operations are managed according to the ISO 9001:2008-approved quality assurance system.
Nordic RF silicon solutions include:
- Highly integrated RF silicon;
- Sophisticated and flexible development tools;
- Application specific communication software;
- Complete reference designs;
The company’s innovative range of wireless solutions comprises:
- The nRF52832™ multiprotocol Bluetooth low energy, ANT and 2.4GHz proprietary Flash-based SoC, a single-chip solution powered by an ARM Cortex M4F processor. The IC is suitable for the most demanding single-chip Bluetooth low energy applications. The nRF52832 is also available in a WLCSP format that measures 3 by 3.2mm;
- The nRF51822™ multiprotocol Bluetooth low energy/2.4GHz proprietary Flash-based SoC, a single-chip solution powered by an ARM Cortex M0 processor. The IC is supplied with the S110, S120 or S130 Bluetooth low energy stack and is suitable for applications in cost, power and size constrained applications. The nRF51822 is also available in a WLCSP format that occupies 40 percent less board space;
- The nRF51422™ ANT and ANT/Bluetooth low energy Flash-based SoCs, a single chip solution for ANT or ANT/Bluetooth low energy applications. The IC is supplied with the S210 ANT protocol stack or S310 ANT/Bluetooth low energy protocol stack and is suitable for applications such as those in the sports, fitness, and healthcare sensors. The nRF51422 is also available in a WLCSP format that occupies 40 percent less board space;
- The µBlue™ nRF8001™ single-chip complete Bluetooth low energy solution, the industry’s lowest power, fully qualified Bluetooth v4.0 design combining Radio, Link Layer, and Host into one End Product Listing (EPL);
- The µBlue™ nRF8002™ SoC Bluetooth low energy solution, a low cost, ultra low power, uniquely easy to design-in, fully qualified Bluetooth v4.0 solution for Bluetooth low energy wireless tags and other accessories;
- The nRF24LE1™ ultra-low cost and power, fully integrated 2.4GHz SoC with radio, microprocessor, flash memory and MultiCeiver™ technology supporting up to six simultaneous wireless devices (also available in a lower cost, One Time Programmable (OTP) variant, the nRF24LE1 OTP);
- The nRF24L01+™ ultra-low cost and power 2.4GHz transceiver with MultiCeiver technology supporting up to six simultaneous wireless devices;
- The nRF24LU1+™ fully integrated 2.4GHz System-on-Chip SoC with full-speed USB, microcontroller and flash memory enabling ultra-compact USB dongles for wireless peripherals (also available in a lower cost, One Time Programmable (OTP) variant, the nRF24LU1+ OTP);
- The nRF24AP2™ ultra low power 2.4GHz transceiver family for wireless communication with ANT Wireless’ production-proven interoperable low-power network protocol, ANT™, and ANT+™ managed network platform;
- The nRF24Z1™ single-chip solution for wireless audio streaming at up full CD quality 16-bit, 48-kHz resolution;
- The nRF2460™ single-chip, low-cost mono wireless audio streaming solution delivering uncompressed 16-bit PCM digital audio, with audio latency as low as 22ms;
- The nRF905™ single-chip multiband radio transceiver for the 433, 868 or 915MHz ISM bands;
- The nRF9E5™ low-cost, single-chip solution with fully integrated RF transceiver for the 433, 868 or 915MHz ISM bands.
µBlue™ is a registered trademark and owned by Nordic Semiconductor
The Bluetooth® word mark and logo are registered trademarks and are owned by the Bluetooth SIG