About Nordic Semiconductor
Nordic Semiconductor ('Nordic') is a fabless semiconductor company specializing in ultra low power (ULP) short-range wireless communication in the license-free 2.4GHz and sub-1-GHz Industrial, Scientific and Medical (ISM) bands. Nordic is a Norwegian public company listed on the Oslo stock exchange (OSE: NOD).
Nordic's ULP wireless solutions are enabling its customers to build wireless connectivity into everything from mainstream consumer RF remote controls through to the most advanced and innovative 'game-changing' wireless devices – while meeting or exceeding end users' expectations in terms of features, performance, and price. The company designs and manufactures four product families: the nRF51 Series of 2.4GHz ULP RF System-on-Chips (SoC), a common silicon architecture that supports 2.4GHz proprietary-, ANT- or Bluetooth® low energy-RF software protocols, the nRF24L Series of 2.4GHz RF SoCs, the nRF24AP2 Series of ANT Connectivity ICs (Integrated Circuits or 'chips'), and the μBlue™ Series of Bluetooth low energy ICs. In addition, Nordic supplies the nRF2460 audio streamer and Sub 1-GHz Series, an ideal solution for longer range industrial, home automation, and wireless monitoring applications.
The company’s products feature:
- Class-leading battery lifetimes – Up to years running from regular AA, AAA or coin cell batteries;
- Small size – Compact packaging options, enabling miniaturized sensors to be developed, including ‘wearable’ devices;
- Ease-of-use – Works 'out-of-the-box' without complex pairing procedures;
- Ease-of-integration – Proven on-chip Nordic Gazell™, ANT, or Bluetooth low energy protocols and support for a wide range of application microcontrollers to ease design-in;
- Multi-vendor interoperability – Seamless connectivity to existing ANT+ sensors and hubs, and forthcoming Bluetooth low energy devices;
- Robust wireless connectivity – Excellent co-existence performance with other popular 2.4GHz wireless technologies such as Wi-Fi and Bluetooth wireless connectivity;
- Mobile phone connectivity – Seamless connectivity to existing mobile phones with built-in ANT+ support, and forthcoming Bluetooth low energy-enabled handsets;
- Attractive pricing point – Single chip solutions with low cost external Bill-of-Materials (BoM) supporting entry-level product pricing.
The nRF51 Series, the nRF24L Series, the nRF24AP2 Series, and the µBlue™ Series are aimed at applications in the sports & fitness, gaming, toys, mobile phone peripherals, healthcare, consumer electronics, and industrial & home automation sectors. The nRF51 Series features a multi-protocol 2.4GHz radio and a 32-bit ARM® Cortex™-M0 based processor. The SoCs feature a novel architecture for 2.4GHz proprietary, Bluetooth low energy and ANT SoC solutions featuring a unique and powerful separation between protocol stack and user application code.
The nRF24L Series, the nRF24AP2 Series, and the µBlue™ Series are aimed at applications in the sports & fitness, gaming, toys, mobile phone accessories, healthcare, consumer electronics, and industrial & home automation sectors. The nRF24L Series (together with the Nordic Gazell™ protocol stack) is the market leading solution for wireless PC peripherals and is ideal for wireless mice, keyboards, remote controls, trackpads, and presenters. ANT is the de facto standard for ultra low power wireless connectivity in sports & fitness equipment making the nRF24AP2 Series the ideal solution for products such as heart-rate belts, speed-distance foot pods, GPS pods, pedometers, activity sensors, bike cadence sensors, bike speed sensors, bike power sensors, and weight scales. The μBlue™ Series of Bluetooth low energy ICs are fully compliant with Bluetooth Core Specification Version 4.0 and supports a wide range of mobile phone peripherals including proximity tags, connected watches, and remote controls. On release of further profiles, the Nordic µBlue™ Series will also be an ideal solution for products in the sports & fitness, consumer electronics, and healthcare sectors.
Nordic is a member of the ANT+ Alliance and has successfully collaborated with ANT Wireless of Cochrane, Canada, since 2005. ANT+ (built on the ANT protocol) facilitates interoperability between ANT+ Alliance member devices and the collection, automatic transfer and tracking of sensor data. ANT+ defines device profiles that specify data formats, channel parameters, and network keys. The ANT+ Alliance is an open, special interest group of companies with a membership of around 400 member companies.
Nordic is an associate member of the Bluetooth SIG and one of its employees is a member of the SIG’s Board of Directors. In addition, the company has contributed core expertise in ULP RF design to Bluetooth low energy wireless technology. Bluetooth low energy is a short range RF communication technology featuring ultra low power consumption, a lightweight protocol stack, and simple integration with Bluetooth chips. It is a hallmark feature of the latest Bluetooth Core Specification Version 4.0. The Bluetooth SIG markets Bluetooth low energy to consumers branded as Bluetooth Smart.
Nordic’s products are manufactured using state-of-the-art semiconductor process technologies via strong, long-term relationships with world-best manufacturing facilities. Sales are primarily made through a carefully selected worldwide distribution network. The company has offices in Trondheim and Oslo, Norway, the U.S. (West Coast), Hong Kong, Korea, Japan, Taiwan, and the Philippines. All operations are managed according to the ISO 9001:2008-approved quality assurance system.
Nordic RF silicon solutions include:
- Highly integrated RF silicon;
- Sophisticated and flexible development tools;
- Application specific communication software;
- Complete reference designs.
The company’s innovative range of wireless solutions comprises:
- The nRF51822™ multi-protocol Bluetooth low energy / 2.4GHz proprietary RF Flash-based SoC, a single chip solution. The IC is supplied with the S110 Bluetooth low energy stack and is suitable for applications in cost, power, and size constrained applications. The nRF51822 is also available in a WLCSP format that occupies 40 percent less board space;
- The nRF51422™ ANT RF Flash-based SoC, a single chip solution for ANT applications. The IC is supplied with the S210 ANT protocol stack and is suitable for applications such as those in the sports, fitness, and healthcare sensors. The nRF51422 is also available in a WLCSP format that occupies 40 percent less board space;
- The µBlue™ nRF8001™ single-chip complete Bluetooth low energy (Bluetooth Smart) solution, the industry’s lowest power, fully qualified Bluetooth v4.0 low energy design combining Radio, Link Layer, and Host into one End Product Listing (EPL);
- The µBlue™ nRF8002™ SoC Bluetooth low energy (Bluetooth Smart) solution, a low cost, ultra-low power, uniquely easy to design-in, fully qualified Bluetooth v4.0 low energy solution for Bluetooth Smart wireless tags and other accessories;
- The nRF24LE1™ ultra-low cost and power, fully integrated 2.4GHz SoC with radio, microprocessor, flash memory and MultiCeiver™ technology supporting up to six simultaneous wireless devices (also available in a lower cost, One Time Programmable (OTP) variant, the nRF24LE1 OTP);
- The nRF24L01+™ ultra-low cost and power 2.4GHz transceiver with MultiCeiver technology supporting up to six simultaneous wireless devices;
- The nRF24LU1+™ fully integrated 2.4GHz SoC with full-speed USB, microcontroller and flash memory enabling ultra-compact USB dongles for wireless peripherals (also available in a lower cost, One Time Programmable (OTP) variant, the nRF24LU1+ OTP);
- The nRF24AP2™ ultra low power 2.4GHz transceiver family for wireless communication with ANT Wireless’ production-proven interoperable low-power network protocol, ANT™, and ANT+™ managed network platform;
- The nRF24Z1™ single-chip solution for wireless audio streaming at up full CD quality 16-bit, 48-kHz resolution;
- The nRF2460™ single-chip, low-cost mono wireless audio streaming solution delivering uncompressed 16-bit PCM digital audio, with audio latency as low as 22ms;
- The nRF905™ single-chip multiband radio transceiver for the 433, 868 or 915MHz ISM bands;
- The nRF9E5™ low-cost, single-chip solution with fully integrated RF transceiver for the 433, 868 or 915MHz ISM bands.